The Food Freedom Movement
Are you concerned about our food supply and your access to clean, healthy food? You’re not alone. More people are becoming aware that Big Corporate Agriculture is controlling food policies coming out of Washington, D.C. They are forcing their “Food like substances”, as Michael Pollan puts it in Food, Inc., down our throats by taking away our rights to healthier, cleaner choices.
Recently, 3 Raw Food establishments in L.A. were raided by a combined force of agents from the FDA, Dept of Agriculture, CDC and the LA County Sheriff’s office for…get this: sell RAW MILK! They are being charged with “‘conspiracy’ related to the sell of unpasteurized raw milk products. Feds not only seized cash and raw milk supplies (much of which was also dumped out) but also mangos and other fresh, organic produce.”
This happened on the same day that Mega-corporate food processor, Cargill, announced a recall of 36 million pounds of ground turkey because of salmonella contamination. One person died and almost 100 were sickened from salmonella poisoning, but there was no raid, no confiscation of cash or products, no fines, and no one went to jail or is even being investigated. A week later there was another big recall, this time for beef. Still, no raids, no confiscations, no fines. No one was sickened from any products from the Raw Food establishments, but 3 people went to jail and now face prosecutions and fines. This is a glaring example of how Big Ag now controls our food policies and government agencies are their enforcement arms. This is “Food Fascism”!
So what can we do about this? There is a “Food Freedom” movement that has started because of Documentaries like “Food, Inc.”, “The World According to Monsanto”, “Fresh”, and the new one “Farmageddon”, and the illegal raids on raw food providers. These documentaries are bringing to light the dangers of corporate controlled agriculture as well as some solutions to bring clean, healthy food back to the market. Stevens County, WA, has started the movement to Food Freedom!
In Stevens County they recently passed an Ordinance that declares:
“BE IT ORDAINED BY STEVENS COUNTY: That the people of the State of Washington, domiciled on Stevens county, have unalienable and fundamental rights and among those rights are the rights to choose the local foods they produce; process or prepare; sell, purchase, or distribute; preserve and store for extended periods of time; and consume, for food or drink, for people or other life forms.”
They go on to declare that they have to Right to grow food locally like they have been doing for over 150 years!
“WHEREAS, We find that family farms, traditional agricultural practices, and processing or preparing local foods by individuals, families, or a group of people, offer stability to our rural way of life by enhancing the local economic, environmental and social wealth of our community, thus promoting self-reliance, the preservation of family farms, and local food traditions; and “WHEREAS, We find the history of government regulators, even with hundreds of food regulations on the books, shows they are incapable of protecting citizens from exposure to food poisoning events from foods produced by corporate farming; and “And what is their source for declaring this right? The Constitution! Both the Constitution of the United States and their State Constitution. “WHEREAS, We, the people of the State of Washington domiciled on Stevens county, declare:
1. The Tenth Amendment to the Constitution for the United States, states, “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people”; and 2. That pursuant to Article 1, Section 8, of the Constitution for the United States, there is no power granted to the federal government to regulate local foods on Stevens county; and “And how will they make sure this is enforced locally? “(D)(1) Public employees employed at the federal, state, or local levels, including, but not limited to, agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Department of Homeland Security, Food and Drug Administration, Washington state Patrol, sheriff’s departments, and municipal and county police will not enforce or attempt to enforce the federal laws, etc., referred to in (A) subsections (1) and (2); or treaties referred in (B) subsections (1) and (2); or Washington state laws, etc., referred in (C) subsections (1) and (2); and (2) A violation of subsection (D)(1) is a class B felony (as defined at RCW 9A.20.021(1)(b)) and is punishable by confinement in a state correctional institution for a term fixed by the court not to exceed ten (10) years, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court not to exceed twenty thousand dollars ($20,000), or by both such confinement and fine; and”
Imagine if we were to adopt this ordinance in our own county. What would be the benefits for us on a local level?
- We would be able to grow more Organic produce without the expense and burdens of unjust and unnecessary regulations coming from the stare and federal level.
- We would have access to cleaner, healthier, more nutrient dense food.
- We would keep more of our money in the local economy.
- We would create more jobs locally by creating a demand for local produce.
- Small farms and family farms would thrive.
- It would unite our local populations around a common purpose and a common goal.
- It would develop a stronger sense of community.
- More sustainable businesses would attracted here because of the local populations support of local businesses…and bring more jobs with them!
- Our local police and judicial systems would have a REAL Mission: to protect the local citizens from the corrupt Corporations, State, and Federal Government!
These are just a few of the benefits that an ordinance like this could have. The only way we can take back our Rights and Freedoms is declare this on the local level. It is the local level where we find our commUNITY.
“There is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come”! Victor Hugo
This idea’s time has come. Here is a link to this ordinance you can download as a PDF. Gather your people, create your plan, and take this to your local city and county officials and tell them you want this passed because this is for our community. Invite your local Police and Judicial systems to join us, because without them we cannot achieve our goals here.
Organic Gardener, Citizen, Fellow Human Being