5 Easy Tips for Healthy Summer Fun, Naturally!
Family get togethers always bring out the appetite for Mom’s apple pie, Grandma’s potato salad and Dad’s famous grilling! Outdoor cooking and eating is one of the many reasons we love summer. Over the years, these holiday picnic have become more wasteful and more unhealthy with flavored chips, instant dips, processed meats, bleached bread, and briquettes loaded with enough fuel to burn all night long… now really, that can’t be good to inhale or ingest!
There are many hidden dangers with the American way of grill-eating that we can avoid with a few simple changes in the products we use. Also, there are many ‘green’ goods to use instead of trashing paper & plastic wares. Here are a few tips and suggestions for a Healthy & Happy summer holiday!
1) Use wood chips or charcoal that have not been soaked in fuels. I know you are all used to the instant everything world, but there is no point in eating your food at all if it’s been cooked in fuel fumes – so take a little time to start the fire earlier, get the chips going, then add charcoal or bigger chips and let the natural hot coals and embers flavor your meat and veggies naturally! You’ll love the different in taste and texture too
2) Try Turkey, Chicken, Tofu, or Temphe burgers instead of red-meat. With so many great Organic farms and brands available, we have healthy options right under our noses!
3) Baked chips are everywhere now, just be careful to avoid toxins in the flavored chips. MSG is in most ‘flavored’ products, so read the labels before you buy and beware of hidden chemicals like MSG, dyes, and preservatives.
4) Serve and eat fruit first! Watermelon, strawberries, peaches and more! Make a fruit salad or bring a basket of fresh fruit. Eating fruit before heavy meats and starches will help reduce over-eating, keeping your energy up to play with kids!
5) Drink purified water and drop the plastic bottle habit! Many people think that if they’re drinking any liquid, that it counts as water intake…wrong! Juices, teas, sodas, and anything with alcohol, caffeine, or sugar is dehydrating your body.
Now remember, these are just a few simple tips you can do to get your summer fun on a naturally healthy track. Be informed, ask questions and stay tuned for more healthy living tips and recipes in the NLS Newsletter ~ Sign up Today!
To Your Health & Happiness, Naturally,